Saturday, April 08, 2006

More Cigar box banjo and early Florida



This is Mae Newman of Palatka, playing her cigar box banjo.

Ernie Williams sent it to me and it is from the Florida Photo Archives. (not sure of the date)

Seems like cigar box banjos were a real tradition in early Florida.

I'm not suprised--there were cigar factories in the Tampa area very early on and folks traveled back and forth from Cuba freely before the sixties. I remember that my Dad (born in Florida in 1915) liked to go dancing when he was young and would travel to the larger cities in Florida to go dancing and also ride the ferry to Havana to dance the night away. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

boston managed web hosting said...

HEEEEEELLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOO BLOGGERSSSSSS..

I would like to tell everyone I know about a new web site for boston managed web hosting... If you are looking on ways to mkae money starting a business and need a site to host it on . Visit http://webhost-er.com/ Today